Omega-3 fatty acids are probably the most popular supplements today. First, what are Omega-3s? These are essential fats, that is to say that they are not synthesized by our body and that we must absolutely find some in our diet for our body to function well. There are many reasons that can make someone interested in Omega-3s for both general health and physical performance.
Omega-3 fatty acids
ALA (Alpha Linolenic Acid) *better known by the acronym ALA
Vegetables: flax seeds, soy, oils (canola, flax, walnuts, soy) and walnuts
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) *better known by the acronym EPA
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) *better known by the acronym DHA
Made from ALA or
Fish: mackerel, herring, salmon, trout, sardines, oysters
Even if it is true that part of the ALA coming from plants can be transformed into EPA and DHA, this conversion would be too modest for it to have an interesting impact on our health. This is why the vast majority of Omega-3 supplements contain only EPA and DHA, the two most useful fatty acids for humans. Omega-3 is also frequently lacking compared to Omega-6, which is much more present in the diet, and respecting a good ratio between these two sources of Omega is essential for good health. .
In terms of general health, Omega-3s have demonstrated their effectiveness in improving several key points of good health:
- Heart health (prevention of several diseases related to the cardiovascular system)
- Stabilization of blood pressure
- Prevention of depression through better stress management
- Enhancement of cognitive functions
- Reduced symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis
- Prevention of Alzheimer's disease
- Prevention of certain cancers
- Lowering of bad blood cholesterol levels
- Decreased blood triglycerides
- Reduced risk of blood clots forming
- DHA is essential for the growth of the brain, retina and other sensory organs.
- Reduces inflammation
- Improvement of type 2 diabetes
In terms of optimizing physical performance, Omega-3s also help in several interesting points for all people, both a great athlete and a person in shape:
- Very effective in weight loss by accelerating lipolysis (use of body fat as an energy source)
- Anti-catabolic effect (loss of muscle mass during exercise)
- Improved overall body composition (fat tissue loss and lean mass gain)
- Improved anabolism of the body in general through increased insulin sensitivity.
Despite their presence in the diet, it is extremely rare for someone to get a good daily dose of Omega-3, which is why many people opt for supplementation. We recommend supplementation around 1500mg of EPA and 750mg of DHA. Most studies tend to show that this ratio would be optimal in order to benefit from all the benefits of Omega-3. Omega-3s are very interesting in children to support them in their growth at a smaller dose, around 500mg of EPA and 250mg of DHA.
At Shop Santé, you will find a wide variety of Omega-3s available in liquid or capsule form. Fortunately, both in capsules and in liquid forms, the fishy aftertaste is a thing of the past and now gives way to pleasant flavors in the mouth. In addition, some companies even add very interesting vitamin additives such as vitamin D and vitamin E. Go to a Health Shop near you to discuss it with your advisor!
- Omega-3 Triglycerides from ATP. Unparalleled market focus.
- Omega-3 Nutrasea. In addition to omega-3, an excellent daily dose of 1000 iu of vitamin D3
- Omega-3s and Antioxidants from Believe Supplements. Exceptional flavor plus a dose of vitamin D and vitamin E.